Best Calf Strengthening Exercises
If you want great looking calf muscles you must try these simple exercises . These simple exercises can help making your calf muscles strong . The calf muscles consist of two types of muscles:-
- The gastrocnemius muscle , which gives the muscle round shape like an oval shape.
- The soleus , which is the flatter one , longer muscle underneath the gastrocnemius and lower down your leg.
This means that you have to focus on strengthening these two types of muscles.
1. Double Leg Calf Raise:-
Double leg calf raises are one of the best calf-strengthening exercises. It uses the body weight to strengthen and tone gastrocnemius and soleus.
You have to stand near a wall for balance. Place your feet hip-width apart, and make sure your ankles, knees and hips are in vertical alignment to protect your joint. You have to make sure that your formation of doing the exercise is correct.
Press down into the balls of both the feet to raise your body upward . You have to keep your abdominal muscles pulled in so that you move straight forward instead of moving your body forward and backward.
- Start standing on a stair, so your heels can drop lower than your toes. Keeping the balls of your feet on the stair, lower your heels as far as you can toward the floor. Then push your heels up as high as you can.
- Add weight to add intensity, repeat the exercise holding a dumbbell or other weight in one hand on a wall for balance.
2. Single Leg Calf Raises:-
You can raise the effect of the calf raise by doing it one leg. By doing that you can strengthen your calf muscle even more.
Stand on one leg near a wall for balance with other leg bent behind you. You have to make sure that ankle, knee and hip of the leg you are working in a vertical alignment to project the joints.
Press down into the ball of your foot to raise your body upward. Keep your abdominal muscles pulled in so you avoid shifting forward or backward.
- Start standing on a stair and keep the ball of your foot on the stair, let you heel drop down below the step. Then push up as high as you can.
- Add weight to increase intensity , hold a dumbbell or other weight in one hand. Place the other hand on the wall.
3. Seated calf raises:-
You can do this exercise both at the gym or the home on a calf exercise machine. The exercise works on both gastrocnemius and soleus.
You have to sit on a solid chair with your feet flat on the floor. Keep your knees aligned directly over your feet. Do not let your knees turn in or out. Lean forward placing hands on thighs near knees pushing down to add resistance.
Push slowly down into the balls of your feet to raise your heels as high as you can. Next, slowly lower your heels. Repeat.
At The Gym
Set yourself up in the calf press machine with the balls of your feet on the platform. This will let you lower your heels toward the floor. Undo machine’s safety latch and release the weight on to your calves.
Drop your heels as far you can toward the floor to lower the weight, and then press into the balls of your feet to raise your heels as high as you can.
4. Calf Building Sports:-
Participating in calf building sports will help you a lot. Some calf building sports are as follows:-